Monday, March 26, 2012

The Death of the Dishwasher

        Our dishwasher broke down in July of 2011. We decided to do without it.  As a result of the tragic death, there were some changes.
        Of course, we had to start washing dishes by hand. As there are six people in the family we made teams. B and L (youngest two) wash after breakfast. A and I wash after lunch. We alternate drying/washing every day; we both prefer drying. Mom and Dad wash after supper. Mom washes and Dad drys while mostly A and I put away leftovers and wash counters and sometimes make Dad's lunch for the next day. B and L usually somehow drift away after the table is cleared :-) Somtimes there are some dishes to wash between meals. Someone usually does that for 'before supper prep.' work.
  
 Pros of washing by hand:
  • Money is saved: instead of putting it toward fixing/running the dishwasher we can put it toward things such as our mortgage.
  • We have more visiting time together. That could be good or bad: depends on what mood I'm in :-)
  • It's good to experience something different and it makes me thankful for what I do have; usually I would take the dishwasher for granted. I used to hate loading the dishwasher; now I am the dishwasher.
Cons:
  • It cuts into time that I could be doing something else, such as finishing school. In the evening we don't have as much free time together.
  • It's a little more work, but that doesn't hurt; it's probably good.
Conclusion: I think it is good that the dishwasher broke down, even if it doesn't seem so good sometimes.






No comments:

Post a Comment