Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How to make whole wheat bread

This is what I did after the dentist today. I've been making bread for my family for several weeks now and thought I'd share some pictures and a recipe.

Combine in large bowl:
8 c. warm water
1 c. honey
Sprinkle over the top:
2 Tbsp. yeast
Let sit for several minutes until yeast dissolves and becomes frothy, like so.
Add:
1 c. oil
2 Tbsp. salt
2 eggs
10 c. WW flour
Mix well then add:
8 to ten cups flour
    Knead by hand or with a mixer until smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turn it upside down and cover with sheets of wax paper or a kitchen towel and let it rise. Warm temperatures will make it rise faster, and in cool areas it will take longer.
When the dough has doubled in size (this took a couple of hours today), punch it down kneading the outer edges into the middle, turn it upside down again (so the top is smooth) and let it rise again (1 hour or so).
Shape the loaves next. It just takes practice to get it right. This is the best I've done so far in shaping loaves. Mom thinks I did a good job. Now I let it rise again until it's rounded over the top of the pans.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake for 45 minutes.
Our family of six usually eats about a loaf a day in sandwiches for lunch. We freeze the extra loaves and thaw them as we need them. I enjoy making this every week, especially when I get out of hauling manure for the garden =)

No comments:

Post a Comment